Thursday, September 30, 2010

Krapp Crapped By Krapp In Tape

Samuel Beckett's Krapp's Last Tape is a work intended to be acted, as is apparent from the start. Plays are written in a very similar style as this, and one thing that intrigued me was seeing the word "Tape" in the space where characters' names usually go. Is it possible then, that the tape can be considered a character? Furthermore, the younger Krapp featured in the tape is treated by Krapp, the viewer, in a third-person type of way, so that the viewer criticizes the young Krapp as one might criticize an obnoxious stranger. On the other hand, when I watch a recording of my younger self, I, too, get the urge to patronize the youthful person I used to be. Nevertheless, I never find myself enraged enough to say, "Just been listening to that stupid bastard I took myself for thirty years ago, hard to beleive I was ever as bad as that. Thank God that's all done with anyway. (Pause)" (Beckett). I must admit, though that I often exclaim, "I can't believe I was ever THAT bad!" All I hope is that in thirty years, I am not as rueful as Krapp. One question on my mind is the following: "Is this a monologue?"

No comments:

Post a Comment