Sunday, September 12, 2010

Fire And Ash

The first time the father explains why he and his son are immune to evil, he says that "...nothing bad is going to happen to us. That's right. Because we're carrying the fire. Yes. Because we're carrying the fire" (42). At that time, the father still had his lighter. Later, when asked a similar question, the father responds with same answer; however, at that time, he had dropped his lighter, which can only mean that the fire he refers to isn't literal. In my opinion, the fire he possesses is the fire of hope and of unflinching humanity; the same hope and humanity the bad guys have lost. With regards to the terminology the child uses to refer to people as good guys and bad guys, the reader is indulged in the innocence of youth, and simplicity it enjoys.

"What is it? the man said. Nothing. We'll find something to eat. We always do. The boy didnt answer. The man watched him. That's not it, is it? It's okay. Tell me. The boy looked away down the road. I want you to tell me. It's okay. He shook his head. Look at me, the man said. He turned and looked. He looked like he'd been crying. Just tell me. We wouldnt ever eat anybody, would we? No. Of course not. Even if we were starving?
We're starving now. You said we werent. I said we werent dying. I didnt say we werent starving. But we wouldnt. No. We wouldnt. No matter what. No. No matter what. Because we're the good guys. Y es. And we're carrying the fire. And we're carrying the fire. Yes. Okay" (65).

No comments:

Post a Comment