Sunday, September 5, 2010

Dice, Gluttony, and Lechery, and Chocolate


Ironically, while reading the Pardoner's Tale (which was itself ironic), I mindlessly nibbled at a chocolate I had no hunger for. When I noticed what a sinner I was, I gluttonously enjoyed devouring it. It is curious, that the Pardoner's tale inspired no guilt in my gut. This may have occurred because I knew the Pardoner was a sinner himself. I was once taught by somebody wise that criticisms loose credibility when told by one who does not take his own advice. The Pardoner is a fraud, and he admits it numerous times, like when he states that his

403 "...entente is nat but for to wynne,
"...intention is only to make a profit,
404 And nothyng for correccioun of synne."
And not at all for correction of sin."

He is also imprudent, which we can see when he insults his listeners in the prologue when he proclaims to those who have asked of him a tale, that

437 "...lewed peple loven tales olde;
"...ignorant people love old tales;
438 Swiche thynges kan they wel reporte and holde."
Such things they can well repeat and hold in memory."

It is humorous to hear a sinner preach absolution openly, and may well be Chaucer's criticism of the Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment