Sunday, September 19, 2010

Amen

Oprah: Today’s show is for all who wonder what the beliefs of the first English writers were. This person’s works have endured for centuries, and are still being studied in schools today. Our guest today, is a writer born in October of 1400, and besides a poet, he is also a philosopher, a bureaucrat, a courtier, and a diplomat. He is credited for the renowned and unfinished The Canterbury Tales, and the first artistic use of vernacular Middle English as opposed to French or Latin. Ladies and gentlemen, Geoffrey Chaucer.

(Applause)

Chaucer: My Greetings, Madam Oprah Gail of Winfrey, and greetings to all.

Oprah: Hello, Mr. Chaucer

Chaucer:
It is, in fact, an honor to be here,
Among so many curious friends, o dear!

Oprah: So tell us, Mr. Chaucer, what motivated you to write your work, The Canterbury Tales?

Chaucer:
O my, o my, directly to the point.
So now we shall explore my sad viewpoint:
Why do all folk decide to play this game?
Hypocrisy and trickery by name,
We’ll see on days that passed and those to come.
The state of lies not spoken makes me numb.
If none decide to breach the lie they tell,
Then I shall joust the dragon from its shell.
The world now stinks of narcissistic frauds,
So proudly living openly as gods,
Defying all the laws of a true life.
I am, my friends, explaining my deep strife
With all that claims to be, yet is not so.
A cynic and a pessimist, my foe
Is the whole world, which sadly is so low.

Oprah: So are you saying that the world is full of hypocrites and always will be?

Chaucer:
I envy your naiveté with my heart
That you will never speak of any fart,
Which comes from one who you so dearly hold,
For how could such a thing from “beauty” come?
The knight is not excepted from the sum
Of those who claim to honestly conceive
A life without the riches they receive.
My sword against the lies has been my pen,
To end the falsehoods everywhere, amen.

Oprah: T-Thank you so much Mr. Chaucer for your insights. A hand for Mr. Chaucer… (Applause)

..."This program is brought to you by... Vital Radiance -Revitalizing beauty for your changing skin."

No comments:

Post a Comment