Monday, November 22, 2010

Too Much Pink Frosting Causes Diabetes

As I read this book, I feel lured into a superficial story. I can gain no productive knowledge from this chick-flick (as with most chick flicks). Narrated inefficiently, I find the plot a waste of time. The characters and their concerns are inane and the passive voice is tiring. While often ironic, the humor insufficiently justifies my time. Such shallow reading renders me unsatisfied, and tired.

Women withhold the novel’s power, and so do their insignificant worries. What more can be learned from this, apart from an undying example as to what to avoid?

I could, given the opportunity, narrate the plot in its entirety, and depict the characters’ “complexities” in much fewer words than those that Austen depreciates.

This would improve the work. My statement, of course, becomes ridiculous if Austen intentionally writes in such a manner as to prove a point. If so, what point would that be?

The numerous correspondences the characters exchange within the novel epitomize my point. These may be found on pages 22, 23, 47, 89, 90, 110, 111, 112, and more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment